As you interview prospective contractors, refer to the below list of questions. Be satisfied with all given answers BEFORE you hire a contractor and sign any contract:
Ask general questions about the contracting company:
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you an authorized dealer for all products that will be installed?
- Do you service the products that you install?
- Do you have a showroom?
Licenses and Insurance
- What kind of license do you have (General Contractor or Glazing Contractor)?
- Is your license valid and does it have a good history?
- Who holds the license and does she or he legally qualify your company?
- Will you provide me with a copy of your license?
- Will you provide me with a copy of your Workers’ Compensation and Liability Insurances?
Experience and References
- Do you have at least five (5) years of experience in window and door replacement?
BEWARE: Numerous companies have new construction experience and little or no experience in remodeling.
- Have you performed any window and door replacement work in my municipality?
- Are you able to provide me with at least three (3) remodeling references that I can contact?
- Who does your installation? Is it done by your own technicians or by sub-contractors hired by you?
- If you do use subcontractors, are they fully licensed and insured?
- Are the installers trained with the products offered to me?
- Does installation include drywall, stucco and window sill repairs?
- Do you replace damaged buck (window and door framing)?
- Will you add an additional charge for bucks and sills?
Permitting and Inspections
- Do you supply permitting and engineering?
- What is the charge for the permit required for my project?
- Who is responsible for scheduling final inspection with the city?
- Are you going to have a company representative attending at all necessary city inspections on my project?
Product Approvals and Warranties
- Will you provide me with a copy of the product approval for the product offered to me?
- Will you provide me with a copy of the product and the installation warranties?
- How many years of installation (labor) warranty is the company offering?
- Will you provide me with a written contract that details all work that will be performed, including related costs and final completion date?
- Will the contract exclude any work that you expect after the job is complete (such as: clean-up, stucco, drywall, tile, etc.)?
- Does the contract have a detailed payment plan and what are my options?